As a result of Prime Minister David Cameron’s Cabinet reshuffle this week, a number of changes have taken place to the MOD ministerial team.
The new defence Cabinet is as follows:
• Secretary of State for Defence – Rt Hon Philip Hammond MP
• Minister of State – Rt Hon Andrew Robathan MP
• Minister of State – Rt Hon Mark Francois MP
• Parliamentary Under Secretary of State – Dr Andrew Murrison MP
• Parliamentary Under Secretary of State – Philip Dunne MP
• Parliamentary Under Secretary of State – Lord Astor of Hever DL (unpaid)
Following Nick Harvey’s departure, there is now no Liberal Democrat presence remaining in the MOD Cabinet. This move has been viewed by some as signalling the Coaliton abandoning its opposition to Trident, as Mr Harvey had been leading a review looking at cheaper alternatives to building new missile-carrying vessels.